No Kid Hungry was launched in 2010 as a national campaign of the nonprofit organization Share Our Strength. Their promise is that "every single child in America has the food they need to grow up healthy and strong."
The No Kid Hungry website outlines some startling facts about hunger. More than 11 million children in the U.S. live in food insecure homes, meaning their families don't have enough food for every family member to lead a healthy life. That's equivalent to 1 in 7 children.
No Kid Hungry has a variety of programs to tackle this problem.
- providing guidance to educators on maximizing healthy school breakfast programs so that every child gets the nutrition they need
- working with local organizations to launch and operate free summer meal programs and funding mobile meals trucks
- helping schools secure resources for after school meal programs
- teaching parents and caregivers how to shop for and cook healthy, affordable meals
- researching the issue of child hunger and sharing resources and best practices
- advocating with government agencies to strengthen programs for children's nutrition
If you want to be a part of the solution, and have something to talk about with these celebrity supporters, there are many ways to get involved: donate, attend a fundraising event, or contact your representative and advocate for kids! As always, share the social media love by liking their Facebook page and following them on Twitter @nokidhungry.